The Osteoporosis & fractures section of our website provides members of the public with information on important aspects of osteoporosis, including:
- What is osteoporosis?
- Who is affected?
- Fractures caused by osteoporosis
- Prevention of osteoporosis
- Treatment of osteoporosis
In addition, members of the public will find the following resources of interest.
- The one minute test: The International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) has developed an osteoporosis risk test which takes just one minute to complete:
- Bone Health Risk Factor Test: Both Men and Woman have certain risk factors that can make them more likely to develop Osteoporosis. The Bone Health Risk Test has a list of questions that help to identify if people have risk factors for Osteoporosis. It has been designed to be consumer friendly so that people can answer the questions in their own time or with assistance and then take this to their healthcare provider for discussion and a bone health assessment:
View the Bone Health Risk Factor Test
- Calcium calculator: The mineral calcium is essential for building and maintaining healthy bones throughout life. The IOF’s easy-to-use calcium calculator enables you to find out if you are getting enough calcium in your diet:
- Body Mass Index calculator: Body Mass Index is a measurement which gives an indication of whether you are underweight, overweight or an ideal weight for your height. The New Zealand Heart Foundation has an easy-to-use BMI calculator:
- Other online resources: A growing number of international and national osteoporosis societies are developing an ever broader array of useful resources for members of the public. Osteoporosis NZ recommends the following websites to New Zealanders who want to find out how osteoporosis is being tackled globally. Visitors will see that Osteoporosis NZ’s BoneCare 2020 is a world-class strategy for clinically effective and cost-effective prevention of fractures caused by osteoporosis.
International Osteoporosis Foundation: http://www.iofbonehealth.org/
Osteoporosis Australia: http://www.osteoporosis.org.au/
Osteoporosis Canada: http://www.osteoporosis.ca/
National Osteoporosis Foundation (USA): http://nof.org/
National Osteoporosis Society (UK): http://www.nos.org.uk/